The Barn, Royal Horticultural Society
The Royal Horticultural Society appointed SIPTech Construction to design and construct a new 830m² bespoke office facility, situated within a fully protected tree zone. Ashley Group (Main Contractor) were appointed to provide the full turnkey package, including the foundation work and then the complete internal/external fit-out once the primary structure had been erected. In order to get appointed, both SIPTech Construction & Ashely Group had to outline the approach to conduct work on a busy site where deliveries had to be coordinated with the other daily deliveries to site, the approach to ensure that the visitors experiences in the garden would not be affected by live site works and the approach to ensure that the project achieves the tight timeline set out in order to ensure the project remains on programme. Lending upon our collaborative experience and consideration in delivering full turnkey package within the education sector, both companies were successfully appointed to undertake the project works.
The first phase of works undertaken by Ashley Group involved the piled foundations, RC concrete ground beam and the construction of the traditional oak frame. Once this was completed, SIPTech Construction cladded the traditional oak frame with the Kingspan TEK® SIP’s Building System to form the external envelope of the primary structure. It took 8 weeks in total for SIPTech Construction to completely form the 830m² external envelope before the site was handed back to the main contractor. After the successful erection of the SIP’s cladding panels, Ashley Group returned to site to complete the external/internal fit-out on the project. The internal fit-out works included works to the open plan and cellular office, meeting room, WC’s and kitchenettes. Internal finishes included a detailed bespoke joinery and a raised computer panel floor.
The initial outlined approaches, to mitigate and minimalise disruptions, demonstrate how the combination of modern methods of construction and our experience in delivering projects within a live environment benefit the client, as every project is dealt with precision, consideration and meticulous planning. The offsite and prefabricated nature of the Kingspan TEK® Building System allowed for project management to phase the deliveries, to avoid conflicts with any other deliveries that were scheduled to RHS Wisley for their daily operations. Lending upon our previous experience we worked closely and communicated throughout with the RHS, to ensure that they continued to function with minimal disruption to its activities and with no risk to health, safety and welfare of its staff and visitors.
Royal Horticultural Society Wisley - The Barn Key Features
SIPTech Construction Works:
• Installation of Kingspan TEK® SIPs Cladding System fixed to a traditional oak frame to form the external envelope of the primary structure
• An air permeability rating of 2.28m3/(h.m2)@50Pa was achieved by the hybrid construction method
• Installation of SIPs Cladding System completed in 8 weeks before handover to main contractor
Ashley Group Works:
• Full site clearance
• Conducted soil survey
• Piled foundations and RC concrete ground beam
• Design, supply and installation of traditional oak frame structure
• Full internal fit-out including the open plan and cellular offices, meetings rooms, WC's and kitchenettes
• Detailed bespoke internal joinery finishes
• Full M&E design package - LED Lighting, underfloor power-trac floor box system & air source heat pump incorporating a LTHW heating system
• External finishes - oak cladding and brick external walls incorporating aluminum windows and doorsets
SIPTech Construction - Building For The Future !
Photograph Credits : Ashley Group & SIPTech Construction